Do you ever struggle to resist temptation? Like when your heart wants to spend Saturday cleaning closets, but your head says, “No, I am going to SIT RIGHT HERE until I finish binge-watching House of Cards.”
Wait, it’s the other way around isn’t it? (Sometimes it’s hard to tell the “good” thing from the “bad” thing.)
Like, let’s say you want a snack. Your head says, “Why not eat an apple?”
And your heart says, “Because apples DO NOT have chocolate chips inside.”
Fair point, says your head. Let’s compromise, says your heart. And NOW you have a real conversation going. (But don’t tell anyone about it, or else you’ll find yourself at the doctor’s office–again–for medication adjustments.) All you wanted was a snack, for heaven’s sake!
Here’s what’s NOT crazy. It’s a no-butter, no-oil, no-added-fat recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies.
This recipe is inspired by the Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn. The original recipe called for applesauce but I used mashed bananas. Flax eggs plus starch-based egg replacement in addition to whole wheat pastry flour allow for an extra fluffy and substantial cookie! I recommend large chocolate chunks if you can find them.
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons mashed banana (from about 2 bananas)
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 cup plus 4 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoonEner-G Egg Replacermixed with ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 10 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate mega chocolate chunks (vegan chocolate chip chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Mix the banana, flaxseed, and sugar together using a hand mixer.
- Beat in the egg replacer and vanilla.
- Mix the remaining ingredients (except the chocolate chips) in a separate bowl.
- Gradually combine the dry and wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place rounded, heaping tablespoons of dough onto a sprayed or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
In this case, what’s good for the head is also good for the heart!