It’s snow going around here!
I don’t know about you, but I’m inside experimenting with food.
What makes this different from any other day, you ask?
Um. Not much.
These muffins, not to be confused with carrot cupcakes, just may be my best effort yet in the muffin department! They have JUST the right amount of sweetness. Exclude the icing and mix the walnuts into the batter, and you have a no-oil, no-added-sugar muffin!! This recipe is sweet enough with the banana, applesauce and dates. It really needs no added sugar besides that.
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax plus 2.5 tablespoons water)
- ¾ cup mashed banana
- ½ cup chopped, soaked medjool dates
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I used soy)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup oat flour
- ½ cup garbanzo bean flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon plus extra for tossing into topping
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, tossed with a little cinnamon for topping
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons plant-based milk (more or less until you reach your desired consistency)
- Mix together the flax egg and set aside for 5 minutes until fully combined.
- Soak the dates in hot water for at least 5 minutes, and then pit and chop them.
- Combine wet ingredients and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients except for the walnuts/cinnamon.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Place batter in a well greased muffin tin (for 12 muffins).
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the walnut/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the sugar and the milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once the muffins are cooled, drizzle them with the icing.
Best enjoyed during a snowstorm, if possible, in front of a fire with a hot cup of coffee or snort of bourbon. (Depending on the time of day, of course!)
(Bourbon is terrific first thing in the morning, as you all know.)