Kitchari means mixture, usually of two grains. This recipe is a simple, one-dish option for a Meatless Monday lunch or dinner.
I wanted a good use for this beauty I received from my friend, Suzanne:
Cook the beans and rice (each separately) while you organize your spice drawer or fold laundry on the table. The rest comes together very quickly and requires only a minimum of chopping! Yay!
- 1 cup dry jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup dry split mung beans, cooked according to package directions
- 2 or 3 carrots, rinsed, diced and cooked for 6 minutes in hot water, then drained
- ½ teaspoon grated, fresh turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt, according to taste
- Fresh cilantro to taste
- Combine cooked rice, mung beans and cooked carrots together in a bowl.
- Add cumin seeds to a dry pan and cook over medium high heat for a minute or two, until you can smell them! Add the turmeric to the pan and cook another minute.
- Add the cumin and turmeric to the bowl of grains and carrots.
- Add salt.
- Finish with a little cilantro sprinkled on top (optional).
- Serve immediately.
Turn your Monday from yucky to lucky!! (I just made that up, and I’m not sure why I’m not yet famous.)