I’m taking a break from my normal Thursday lecture, and I’m making breakfast bars instead.
Yay! Spring break!
I’m planning to visit my daughter Caroline, who is in college. I don’t get to see her much, and I’m taking her to lunch. We both dislike talking on the phone and prefer talking in person. She’s two hours away, so it will be a lot of driving today just for one lunch date, but I never mind the drive when I’m going to visit her. She’s hands-down one of my favorite people on the planet.
(I have a son too, and he’s also hands-down one of my favorite people on the planet.)
Anyway, I made a treat for my daughter to bring along.
Most mothers bake chocolate chip cookies or something like that. Poor Caroline always gets something “healthy.”
Me: Hi honey! I made you some gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free, oil-free, salt-free twig-berry balls!
Daughter: I see.
Me: You won’t get a sugar or cholesterol spike with THESE babies.
Daughter: Especially if I don’t eat them, right?
Me: Haha. Right.
No, I’m just kidding. She usually assures me my baking is “actually pretty good” or “didn’t even make me gag this time.”
She’s nice about it.
Today’s recipe has chocolate on top of it! And chocolate makes everything better.
These are kind of a cross between breakfast bars and breakfast cake. Either way, it’s chocolate for breakfast!
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (blueberries or raisins)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup applesauce
- For glaze:
- Melt 4 ounces of vegan chocolate chips in the microwave. Place the chips in a small microwaveable container. Heat the chips on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Return the chips to the microwave and heat on high for another 40 seconds. Stir chips until they are fully melted.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Stir in the applesauce and combine well.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the baked bars (before you cut them).
Now go on and have a great day.