You say “tam-ah-to” and I say “stop talking like that and help me with all these tomatoes!”
The last several weeks here at my house were dominated by very hot-humid weather, laundry (my college-aged daughter was home), and cucumbers.
So many cucumbers!
And just as the cucumber plant began its retreat…
Honestly, I thought it was out for world domination.
…the tomatoes kicked in.
This was just from my plum tomato plant. One day’s harvest. Yesterday, I picked the same number. Tomorrow, it looks like more.
What to do??
Get those babies in the slow cooker and then the freezer!
Slow Cooker Tomato Preserve
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 20 plum tomatoes (or so)
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and turn on low for several hours (from 3 to 6).
- With a slotted spoon, scoop out vegetables and place into freezer safe containers in any serving size you choose and freeze up to 6 months.
- For use, thaw the preserved tomatoes and vegetables, add tomato paste to thicken (if desired) and season any way you like with salt, pepper and herbs.
Then you can have THIS all year long!
I return you to your regularly scheduled laundry.