It’s beginning to look a lot like spring at my house and time for treats like roasted artichokes!
(You were thinking chocolate bunnies? I don’t blame you!)
But this is a good idea too!
- 1 artichoke
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Holding the artichoke by the stem, but off the top 1½" (the leaf tops).
- Cut off the stem.
- Rub the cut parts with the cut lemon to prevent oxidation.
- Sit the trimmed artichoke in a small bowl. Coax the leaves gently apart with your hands, being careful to keep everything together and intact.
- Squeeze the rest of the lemon juice from the lemon half over and into the artichoke leaves.
- Push the garlic cloves into the leaf spaces.
- Sprinkle the fennel seeds over the artichoke so that they also settle down into the crevices.
- Place the prepared artichoke onto a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil squares. (The aluminum foil squares should be big enough to enclose the artichoke thoroughly when gathered together.
- Bake for 1 hour (or 1 and ¼ hours, for larger artichokes).
It’s easy to top and tail an artichoke:
…nestle it, seasoned, in foil:
…baked and pulled apart:
Once you reach the middle, pull off the very small, tender leaves and discard that part.
Use a spoon and gently remove the hair-like fibers and discard them as well.
And THEN you’ll get to the heart of it! Delicious!
One artichoke feeds one person. Do a bunch for pretty dinner party appetizers. It’s fun!