I’m in a pickle.
(You saw that one coming, didn’t you?)
Quick Refrigerator Pickles
You knew, after reading about…
…it was all coming down to pickles, which is where things ultimately turn when a garden full of cucumbers is close at hand, am I right?
If I were more disciplined, I’d pickle my cucumbers properly for my pantry shelf to be used over the winter. But I’m not, and I did these quick pickles for the refrigerator.
I served these as a side dish one night. Next night, I chopped the mixture and stirred them into cooked red potatoes. Next night, I minced the mixture and served them over grilled soy dogs.
- ½ cucumber (or 1 small cucumber), washed, ends trimmed and sliced thickly
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ shallot, peeled and sliced thinly, lengthwise
- a few slices habanero peppers
- a few slices jalapeño peppers
- a few slices of mild pepper, any variety
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- ¾ cup vinegar
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- Combine the vegetables in a medium-sized bowl.
- Transfer them to a quart-sized glass "canning" jar.
- In a measuring cup or bowl, combine the sugar, salt, vinegar and warm water and stir until dissolved.
- Pour liquid over the vegetables.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Pickles will keep in the refrigerator 2 weeks.
I may give a few jars away!