Here’s to more fun with your grill this summer! Tune in Monday to see how I topped my grilled pizza! (Hint: It involves zucchini!)
How To Grill Pizza Crust
Serves: 2 10-inch pizzas
- 1 cup warm water
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for greasing
- Combine yeast and sugar with warm water and allow to sit for 5 minutes until a foam forms on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar and water mixture, salt and olive oil.
- In a mixer fitted with a kneading hook, combine the mixture until a stretchy dough forms. (If you see the mixture needs more moisture, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.)
- Allow the mixer to knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and pat the dough into a large ball. Grease the ball and place it back in the mixing bowl, covering the bowl with plastic wrap and then a tea towel. Place the bowl in a cool, dry place for 1½ hours to 3 hours until the dough has risen. The dough should close to (but not quite) double in size. As long as you get a puffy rise, you should be fine!
- Preheat the grill on high, reducing the grill to medium-high just before cooking. You want a nice hot grill, but not so hot that the crust will burn.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into two balls, using your hands.
- Working with 1 ball at a time, form a disc out of the dough with your hands. Stretch it and pull it until you have a 10-inch crust. No need for perfection here! This is artisanal stuff!
- Grease one side of the crust and place the crust, greased side down, onto the grill. Close the grill and cook for 1 minute.
- Flip the crust using tongs or a large spatula, place your chosen toppings on the cooked side and close the grill, cooking the pizza for a final 3 minutes. You can peek at it to make sure things aren't sticking or burning. (Grills do vary considerably! I used a gas grill, but you should be fine with a charcoal grill).
(Have all your toppings lined up and ready to go before you even put the crust on the grill!)
Pretty easy, kids!