Who doesn’t like standing before a back patio grill in the summer lazily tending to dinner while enjoying a chilly can of beer?
This activity is not reserved only for meat eaters. Vegans can do it too with a little imagination.
I have just the thing, and it’s REALLY EASY.
If you must, serve it as a side dish. But Pete and I enjoyed ours as a light summer dinner over a bed of washed kale.
Grilled Sweet Potato Boats with Black Bean Mango Salsa
Pop the potatoes on the grill and drink your beer, for heaven’s sake! No flipping. No poking. No nothing. Just stand around and enjoy your company.
Who says vegans aren’t any fun? (Lotsa people.)
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 16 oz. jar prepared salsa (your favorite kind)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh snipped herbs such as cilantro, oregano, sage or parsley.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and poke them several times with a fork.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a microwaveable dish and microwave them on high for 3-4 minutes. Flip them over and microwave them for another 3-4 minutes.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes in heavy duty foil and place on a medium to medium-high grill for about 20 minutes until soft to the touch.
- Meanwhile, mix the salsa ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the sweet potatoes are finished cooking, unwrap them, split them and top them with the salsa.
- Serve immediately.
Summer’s for grilling! Now get out there and enjoy the warm weather.