A local bakery not far from my house maintains a small deli case stocked with sandwiches, soups and salads, including tubs of interesting selections like curried couscous for people “on the go.” Many of the items are vegan, and I do so appreciate that!
I’m rarely ever “on the go.” I’m usually “on the stay around the house and sleep on the sofa.”
Wait a minute, that’s my dogs. I’m often “on the go.”
Well, OK, I’m sometimes “on the go.”
In other words, I occasionally do a couple things and then return home. Sometimes, I leave the house with the sole intention of going to the bakery for my vegan lunch, and then head back home. (That counts as “on the go” right?)
The curried couscous salad my bakery sells includes broccoli and cashews. I don’t know the recipe the bakery uses, but I thought I’d try my hand at making one up! This is terrific for throwing together on a Sunday night with plans to pack for work lunches each day during the week, if that’s how you roll.
You’ll see in the recipe, I include optional olive oil. I didn’t use the oil when making up my batch. However, I think many people might like this salad using the oil. It’s not much. We can quibble about the sugar and salt too, right? Yes. Choose your poison! Play with the recipe according to your must-haves and must-nots.
- 1 cup couscous, cooked according to package directions
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dry-roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Steam broccoli florets for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Combine couscous with all the ingredients, including the steamed and drained broccoli, tossing gently.
- Refrigerate and eat the salad cold.
- (Who'm I kidding? The salad is great warm too!)
That’s really all I have time for as I am very, VERY busy today.
(OK dogs, come on! It’s nap time!!!!!)