No, I am NOT finished with cucumbers! And neither is my garden.
Cucumber tomato pita sandwiches!
- For sandwich:
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped (I used roma tomatoes)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced black olives (I used pitted kalamata olives)
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
- For dressing:
- 1 cup prepared hummus (any kind, but I used an extra garlic variety)
- ½ cup almond milk or any plant-based milk
- To finish:
- 1 package pita bread (I use pocketless kind, folding the sandwich in a "taco" style)
- 1 avocado, cubed (optional)
- Combine all the chopped vegetables except the avocado in a large bowl.
- Whisk the hummus with the almond milk in a small bowl.
- Toss the dressing with the vegetables.
- Place about a cup of filling into the pita, and fold the bread up like a taco 🙂
- Top with some cubed avocado if desired.
Variation One: For a more substantial sandwich, add a can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained, to the vegetable mixture.
Variation Two: If you are packing the pita for a lunch on the go, instead of making the dressing, which can cause the bread to be soggy over time, simply smear the prepared hummus (no milk) on the pita before filling with the mixed vegetables.