How’s this for breakfast?
- 1¾ cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 2¼ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax plus 5 tablespoons water)
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. Combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together soy milk mixture, flax eggs and oil.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Pour by ¼-1/2 cupful onto lightly greased, preheated griddle. When bottom of pancakes have browned and bubbles have formed across the top, approximately 2-3 minutes, flip over and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
I was experimenting with spelt flour just because I have some. My advice: Don’t worry if you do not have spelt flour. Use whole wheat flour. If you use spelt flour, be careful not to over mix. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir only until things are combined and lumps remain. Recipes made with spelt flour are subject to crumbliness, if crumbliness is indeed a word. Careful mixing will allow you to avoid this problem.